Book Review: Crush It!
I just finished reading Gary Vaynerchuk’s first book last week, so lets get on with its review. The title is Crush It!: Why NOW Is The Time To Cash In Your Passion.
1. The book: Crush It! is a book about finding your passion and profiting from it online. Gary V. did just that, and he wanted to share with other people how to follow on his steps. The book has 132 pages, which means you could read it within a week.
2. The content: The beginning of the book is about why you need to follow you passion, and how Gary did it with his wine business, taking the revenues from $4 to over $60 million annually. After that Gary talks about the important of personal branding, the online platforms you must use, and the strategies you should use to promote yourself and your business.
3. What I liked: I already have a good experience with online marketing, publishing platforms and other web tools, so that part of the ebook was pretty trivial to me. What I really liked, however, was the energy that Gary is able to transmit through the text. He does that in video, so it should be no surprise. In fact it was this book, and Gary’s approach to business in general, that motivated me to start hustling. You can grasp that from the quote I used below.
4. Who would benefit from this book: People who want to start using social media tools to promote his business and people who want to get motivated about succeeding with an online or offline business.
5. Favorite quote:
I’ve said over and over that if you live your passion and work the social networking tools to the max, opportunities to monetize will present themselves. I’ve also said that in order to crush it you have to be sure your content is the best in its category. You can still make plenty of good money if you’re fort best in category, or ninth best, but if you really want to dominate the competition and make big bucks, you’ve got to be the best. Do that, be that, and no one will be able to touch you.
With one exception. Someone with less passion and talent and poorer content can totally beat you if they’re willing to work longer and harder than you are. Hustle is it. Without it, you should just pack up your toys and go home.
Get My Best Internet Marketing and Entrepreneurship Tips
- Don't worry, I only send out emails once or twice a month.
- But when I do, it's because I have something valuable to share!
- You don't want to miss those, and it's completely free!
18 Responses to “Book Review: Crush It!”
Well I bet that the book will be awesome, but I didn’t see the books pricing anywhere. Thats a very important thing for a person tight on cash. I’m definitely going ahead with this book, but a reasonable price is better.
@Vishal, costs around $13 on Amazon.
Andrew @ Blogging Guide
I got Garyâ€™s book for Christmas but have yet to read it. I’m currently reading “50 Scientifically Proven Ways to Be Persuasive” (Goldstein/Martin/Caildini).
Gary’s book is definitely going to be next now I’ve read this.
@Andrew, that one is on my to-read list too.
Crush It! has been on my Amazon shopping list for several weeks now, but I haven’t pulled the trigger. I have too much to read already for the time being.
I love Vaynerchukâ€™s passion, but one thing that he seems to miss is that some people (like me) don’t like to use social media that much. The fact that I would be using social media in a way related to something that I’m passionate about doesn’t make me like social media any more.
For example, I don’t get the Twitter thing. I’m on Twitter, and I post occasional tweets, but I don’t get why people tweet every stupid little thought that crosses their mind. There was one blogger who I “followed” for less than a half hour because he tweeted like a machine gun.
I like Facebook a little better, but mainly for keeping in touch with friends and family.
My lack of enthusiasm for social media might hurt my blogging results, but I hope to Crush It! in my own way. We will see how it goes.
Bamboo Forest – PunIntended
Looks like an interesting read. And… the fact that it’s so short, well… I think that’s an asset, not a detriment. I’ll have to get my hands on it eventually. I want to read some of Seth Godin’s stuff too. Particularly his latest book.
Web Marketing Tips
Well your review on book is forcing me to buy this and give a try on this weekend.
@garyvee ‘s book Crush It! is one of my favourite book’s. I read it and posted a video blog just before Christmas about it.
Remember I’m English so my style isn’t as in-your-face as @garyvee !! 😉
Gary’s energy and passion is incredible and I really hope he gets to buy the NY Jets!
Everything he talks about makes sense and 2010 is definitely the year that we should all be turning to our passions and promoting our brand.
Daniel, nice review and I agree with your favourtire quote! 🙂
This was a good review, but I don’t think I’ll read this book. It sounds like something for people who need to be motivated. I have the motivation, I need resources that help me be more effective and efficient. I like tips and hacks book more. That’s me personally.
I like it when he said Do that, be that, and no one will be able to touch you. I must admit, I am overwhelmed by Gary V’s success. I’ll buy his book anytime soon.
Jens P. Berget
I’ve read the book as well, and I really recommend it. It was fast to read, and it was very inspiring to read how Gary made his business a success, and how we can do it as well. It doesn’t seem that hard when you read it 🙂
Thanks for the review. This book is on the top of my list to read in 2010 – good to read a review about the gist of the book.
Another book again how to get success in online, i think this book can motivate a newbie.
I also purchased the book, and read it in one night. I loved it so much that I read it again the next night. I am now reading it a third time.
Andrew @ Blogging Guide
It’s a great book, so far. Some nice ideas to test out on your blog. I shall have to write a review, once finished.
I got that book and 4 Four Work Week ( updated edition ) on holidays. Haven’t started reading it but I looked trough – it seems like a great read for someone who’s not familiar with his work, for ones who are … it’s not that unique anymore but still good read, reminder. Title is great.
I’ve seen this book around and will be buying it soon. I’ve heard it’s a great book and for good reason is probably why I’ve seen it everywhere.
I have almost read all your post, and now we must take this critical report as the ways to increasing our blog development.
Comments are closed.