You Can Have WordPress.com Features on Your Blog Now
As most of you guys probably know WordPress.com is the hosted version of the WordPress software. You can sign-up for a free account there and get a blog with an address like yourblog.wordpress.com.
While I don’t recommend the hosted version (because by hosting the software yourself you have much more control and flexibility), WordPress.com used to offer some exclusive and very useful features. The good news is that Automattic just released a WordPress plugin called Jetpack that will bring all those features to self-hosted WordPress blogs as well.
Here is a list of the features:
- Stats: Simple, concise site stats with no additional load on your server.
- Twitter Widget: Display the latest updates from a Twitter user inside your theme’s widgets.
- Gravatar Hovercards: Show a pop-up business card of your users’ Gravatar profiles in comments.
- WP.me Shortlinks: Enable WP.me-powered shortlinks for all of your Posts and Pages for easier sharing.
- Sharedaddy: The most super duper sharing tool on the interwebs. Share content with Facebook, Twitter, and many more.
- LaTeX: Mark up your posts with the LaTeX markup language, perfect for complex mathematical equations and other Ã¼ber-geekery.
- After the Deadline: After the Deadline helps you write better by adding spell, style, and grammar checking to WordPress.
- Shortcode Embeds: Easily embed videos and more from sites like YouTube, Vimeo, and SlideShare.
There are more features coming soon, so definitely keep an eye on that plugin. The decision to release that plugin to all WordPress users also signals Automattic’s care about the whole WordPress community, not just those using the hosted version, which is a very positive thing.
Get My Best Internet Marketing and Entrepreneurship Tips
- Don't worry, I only send out emails once or twice a month.
- But when I do, it's because I have something valuable to share!
- You don't want to miss those, and it's completely free!
16 Responses to “You Can Have WordPress.com Features on Your Blog Now”
Installed the plugin and using it now.. According to WordPress announcement, this will put no server load and that’s the best thing I liked about this plugin…!!
This plugin is going to make into must have WordPress plugins list…
The only wordpress.com plugin I use is wordpress.com stats as it shave my database and cpu processing power.
All other I don’t think of much use.
Awesome, I love plugins that do so many useful things at once to keep the number I install down. Stats and sharedaddy alone make this plugin worth using.
I always liked the WP.com stats better than Google Analytics for a quick overview. It’ll be nice to have.
How does ShareDaddy compare to Add This or other popular social sharing plugins?
Thanks for sharing the useful WordPress plugins with us. It’s easier when someone experienced recommends them yo us.
Can I say, it’s about time… This sure is a lot more than what they use to have. I used a WordPress.com site for quite awhile and then got bumped when I tried to use it like a WordPress.org.
My crime? I wanted to promote a link on my business site…
The WordPress police said, “We’re locking you OUT!”
Dot com WordPress is fine… IF YOU DON’T NEED TO MAKE MONEY using it. But, if you just want a nice little blog it’s great.
If you don’t know anything or very little about WordPress and want to know how to make money online, the WordPress Money System is the way to do it easily.
Its definitely a very useful plugin (saves installing a lot of separate ones) but I think their motives are partly down to wanting to sell more premium services. All the features at the moment say free which suggests that future ones may not be…
And legions of people will gladly pay for them. They make good products. Why shouldn’t they charge for some of them?
I’m not saying they shouldn’t – I pay for some
Way to go for WP.com Makes our lives easier! 😀
I find it interesting that they’re basically releasing an Automattic plugin that duplicates other plugins. Why the duplication? Hostile takeover? Shrugs… as I said, they’re already duplicating other plugins that I use. See no real reason to use these ones.
Find All Answers
If there is no server load, I am gonna check it out right now.
Awesome, I’ll try out the plugin today.
hey, this is a good news. thanks!
I don’t need all the features and don’t want the overhead loaded onto my site. But I did find the After the Deadline plugin in the plugin directory and plan on using the grammar check in the future.
Comments are closed.