Link Tips: 03 June 2007
- Sitemaps: Lorelle explains the new “autodiscovery” feature around sitemaps. It includes a vast collection of links related to the topic.
- How Ads Really Work: very interesting article evaluating the trade off between placing ads and annoying readers.
- Launching a New Site: useful checklist if you are about to launch a new site, posted at Self Made Minds.
- 10 Reasons Why Blogging is Like Dating: a creative post submitted by one of our readers. The funny thing is that the points do make sense!
- Marketing in Pictures: the difference between marketing, PR, advertising and branding. A classic one.
- Sending Gigantic Files: if you need to transfer some large files across the Internet you should check this post. It outlines a useful service called Pando.
Recommended Articles for You
6 Responses to “Link Tips: 03 June 2007”
Thanks, Daniel for clearing that up. I’ve adjusted my robots.txt file and hope I haven’t caused any permanent damage to my site ranking 🙂
“However, some sites advise having only one source of content i.e. at single post page”
In my opinion the excerpts from the yearly archives are not considered a source of content. There is no duplication there. Also bear in mind the archives page will display several excerpts grouped together, so the overall page is a lot different from the single post page.
“So wouldnâ€™t it be necessary to remove all old URLs from Google index and instead have it crawl the new ones?”
If the 301’s are in place and working properly, there is no need to remove those URL’s from the Google index. Actually it could even be bad idea as currently the PR of those pages are passing through the new ones through the 301.
Thanks, Daniel. I remember reading your post excerpts posts and have implemented the changes. However, some sites advise having only one source of content i.e. at single post page
I recently changed my URL structure from /year/month/day/post-name to /post-name (using 301 Permalink Redirect). So wouldn’t it be necessary to remove all old URLs from Google index and instead have it crawl the new ones?
Patrix, that is not neccesary, provided your yearly archives are only displaying post excerpts (as they should).
Should you disallow search bots from crawling yearly archives (/2006, /2007, etc.) in the sitemap if your URL is domain.com/post-name to avoid duplication?
Comments are closed.