Blog Setup: 40 Practical Tips
One of our readers, Max Pool, was kind enough to send a guest post with 40 practical tips to setup and optimize your blog. All the tips are actually links to previously published articles on Daily Blog Tips. Enjoy!
- Do your homework first and read about others’ mistakes
- Choose a reliable web host
- Choose a good domain name
- If you need inspiration, check this list
- Register and keep your domain name with a registrar
- Always install WordPress in the root directory
- Update your ping list
Themes & Design
- Choose a professional theme
- Remove unnecessary information from your theme
- Add a favicon
- Place an RSS icon at the end of single posts
- Create a functional footer for your blog
- Organize your categories
- Optimize the “About” page
- Speed up your site
Check & Validate
- Make sure your blog works in different browsers
- Check the load time of your site
- Test the SEO aspects
- Validate your website
- Keep a maintenance checklist
- Install Akismet
- Install WordPress Database Backup
- Install Subscribe to Comments but leave it unchecked
- Install Chunk URLs
- Install Related Enteries and consider setting it to 3
- Install Custom Query String
- Install Jerome's Keywords
- Install sig2feed
SEO & Analytics
- Install Google Sitemap Generator
- Install Enforce www Preference
- Optimize your Meta Description Tag
- Setup an optimal URL structure
- Make category pages display excerpts
- Setup any needed 301 Redirects
- Create a robots.txt file (and here is a collection of different ones)
- Modify your title tag to be optimal
- Remove the hyperlink from the single post titles
- Offer email subscriptions
- Install the Feedburner Replacement plugin
- Add the Google Analytics plugin and track your stats
Max Pool is a software engineer by day – aspiring SEO expert by night. More ideas can be found at his blog codesqueeze.com.
107 Responses to “Blog Setup: 40 Practical Tips”
The Blog Builder Guy
The very first one caught my eye.
“Do your homework first and read about othersâ€™ mistakes”
It’s good to learn from your mistakes but it is even better to learn from other people’s mistakes.
I also liked your list of plugins a few of which I never heard of.
Daily Good Tips
Thanks for the complete tips with complete categories.
Thanks for the tips, very useful..
Thanks a lot! Very helpful.
Max, great article! I would also suggest installing Bad Behavior to keep the spam at a minimum. The ping list is very nice but it will bring in a lot of spammers especially as your page rank increases. Akismet will catch a lot of the spam but not all of it.
In addition, I would suggest putting together articles (5-10) before you install your blog. Then after the install immediately post the articles. The most spiders & bots will appear after the install and grab the content (and index it). This gives you a rush of traffic to your site.
If you are looking for detailed steps on creating sites that run themselves check out my ebook called “WordPress on AutoPilot: Get Your Blog to Automatically Find Content, Traffic, and Sales”.
cctv kamera sistemi
Iâ€™ll definetely bookmark this. Itâ€™s great to have it all down in one place like that.
One Man. One Year. $100,000 online. Howâ€™s he doing it?
Thanks for this incredible write up. This helped me get up and running smoothly. I still have some work to do but you have saved me a TON of time and for that I thank you!
nice tips about word press seo. I did not find any information about changing robot meta tag in word press blog in your post. can you give some idea on this?
Search engine optimisation strategies
Just wanted to thank you so much for this. I have been trying to figure this out and you made it so easy! Thanks so much! :)))
UK Search Engine Positiong Blog
I am planning to start my new blog in wordpress.This article will help me to start easily.Thanks!
search engine optimisation
Great tips. I have bookmarked you site:)
web designing company
I have my own blog in Blogger platform.I wanted to create in wordpress.By reading your post I got an idea.thanks for sharing!
Helped me with my site immediately..thanks
These tips are great for a beginner.
thanks for good suggestion tool….
great tools and source………..very helping me to build my web….
Now I know how to developed my poor blog..hehehe:)
Thank a lot
Great stuff, Thanks
Simple, clear advice is still the best.
hello, happy to visit this blog….your post enrich my information to bulid my we…I hope can increase my web progrese ( http://www.diabetes.fat-site.com) by following suggest above…thanks
I’m definetely bookmark this. It’s a “bible” to guide the newbies to install their first blog. It’s appreciated if you can provide some video tutorial on “installing” the blog or “plugins”. Thanks!
To Your Success
This is definitely a reference for new bloggers! Thank you very much for all of these tips 🙂
Keep it up!
Thanks for all the great tips! Very useful!
Some absolutely great tips here, awesome indeed.
I can not wait to get started on my wordpress theme if i do decide to go with a WP theme instead of my current design.
Another awesome tutorial, loads of information
Thank you 🙂
Philippine Website Developers
Thank you very much for sharing 40 Practical Tips in setting up blog. Great help!
thank you for the tips. just found it.
About the theme, I think it should be updated 🙂
There are huge improvements in this area.
Thanks for such useful article. I hope it will really prove helpful for me in promoting my site!
Thanks for this idea. When I first added these links ( I added both in my wordpress admin site and in my ecto preferences) I noticed a boost in traffic. In the last week or so, I have not seen much traffic at all. Granted I am real new to this but Iâ€™m still trying to figure out If I might be shooting myself in the foot by having these ping links in both ecto and wordpress.
Website Promotion Lincolnshire
Wow, thanks for the list. This will save time.
Comments are closed.